Thursday, December 8, 2016

Sand Creek River -- Fabrizio de André, 1981

This ballad is inspired by the massacre of Cheyenne and Arapaho people (mostly women and children) at the Sand Creek River in Colorado in 1864. De André tells the story through the eyes and words of a child victim.


They took our hearts under a dark blanket
We slept with no fear under the little dead moon
It was a twenty year old general
Blue eyes and uniform
It was a twenty year old general
The son of a thunderstorm.
There’s a silver dollar at the bottom of Sand Creek

Our warriors too far away tracking buffaloes
And that far away music grew louder and louder
I shut my eyes three times
Yet I found I was still there
I asked granpa if it was only a dream
Granpa said yes
Sometimes the fish sing at the bottom of Sand Creek.

I dreamed so hard, blood came out of my nose
Thunder in one ear, paradise in the other
The smallest tears
The biggest tears
When the tree in the snow
Bloomed with red stars
Now the children sleep in a Sand Creek bed.

When the sun rose its head between the night’s shoulders
There were dogs and smoke and overturned tipis.
I shot an arrow to the sky
To make it breathe
I shot an arrow to the wind.
To make it bleed.
Look for the third arrow at the bottom of Sand Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment